Thursday, May 20, 2010

It's amazing how an object, a place, or a thought can connect two people

It's amazing how an object, a place,  or a thought can connect two people. It can even remind you of them when they're gone.

The bus stop on Hickey and Gateway reminds me of my grandpa. He took the bus everywhere. He walked to the bus stop, paid his $.35 to get on the 20J, and ride to Serramonte. Or he would take the bus to Greyhound and escape to Reno for a day.  I would even see him there as I walked home from school, waiting for the bus; waiting to get to wherever he was going.  When I pass by that particular bus stop, I still feel him.

I used to watch the waves at the Pacifica Pier with a beautiful man.  We would go there and bask in the beauty of the water as it hit up against the pier. The water would be so powerful some days. And flat other days. But we would go, just to go. Sometimes we'd talk. Other times, not. He's gone now. And I often watch the waves to be close to him.

I'm a child at heart. I try and show it in my smile. And I love the kids that are involved in my life. I live for them, until I have my own. I do. And I'm sometimes far from the ones I love. So when I miss them, I think of a park. I think of a time when I played in the park with them. And I remember it and play it out in my head.  And I begin to feel them near me and feel the connection we have even if I'm in LA.  And I'm ok.

I've loss people in my life. I'm far from people I love. And I struggle inside. So I find something, anything that connects us just so I could be near them.   Sometimes it's the best that I'll get, the only thing that will remind me that that person was real in my life.  I love them.  Sometimes it's just perfect to fill the void.